Join us on Sunday, October 2nd @ 2pm for a kayaking trip
where we will enjoy fabulous fellowship along with the beautiful colors of Fall.
Please sign up in the foyer, so we can make sure everyone has a kayak!
The following events are coming up for New Hope’s Ladies Ministry.
Mark your calendar & save the dates!
Saturday, September 17th – Beth Moore Simulcast
Time & Location TBA
Sunday, October 2nd – Ladies Kayaking
2PM – Location TBA
Saturday, October 29th – Ladies Cookie Decorating
Time & Location TBA
Saturday, November 19th – Church Christmas Decorating
9AM @ the church
Saturday, December 10th – Christmas Barn Theater Production
2PM – Will carpool from the church.
We hope you can join us for some of these fun events.
See Diane Borst with any questions.
How can summer almost be over? Didn’t it just start yesterday? Didn’t the kids just get out of school? How is it possible that the first day of school is only three weeks away?
Don’t know about you, but there is so much I wanted to do this summer that didn’t get done. I’m not ready for cold weather and especially not for wearing socks and long pants again. Time just feels so fleeting these days.
Yet, I find comfort in knowing that God created the seasons. He created the boundaries of nature. He created every time with a specific purpose. Knowing this, I look forward to the coming cold weather because I know He has great plans for that season of my life too.
Let me encourage you to enjoy the days of summer that are left. Enjoy every moment, every right now. Focus on relationships and connections. Let God’s agenda be your agenda. At the same time, be excited about the future plans He has in place for you. Be encouraged by the hope of His grace. Embrace right now, but also anticipate the joy that’s coming. God’s in that too!
As you know, our retreat last week was inspired by the book The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst. For those of you who are interested, click on the book graphic to the left to order the book from Amazon.
Or, to find out more about Lysa and to discover the many resources she offers related to the book, visit her web site.
The book comes highly recommended, and you’ll find oh so much more than just what we covered during the retreat. Reading the book may just be life changing!
“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.” (Philippians 1:9-1)
- Not great for our bodies (feet, legs, back, posture) long term
- Don’t really want to walk all day in them
- Great for short term – easy, simple & relaxed
SPIRITUAL FLIP FLOPS
- Harmful long term because the goal is Walking with Wisdom
- Short term, we often need to make adjustments – flip flops – in our thinking to get us realigned and back on track with walking with wisdom.
- Like flip flops, the path to your BEST YES is simple & should not be complicated.
- We want to regularly adjust – flip flop – thinking that doesn’t line up with God’s wisdom
(1.) Are you focused on your agenda or God’s agenda?
“A woman who lives with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule will often ache with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul. An underwhelmed soul is one who knows there is more God made her to do.” (Lysa TerKeurst)
- Can you relate to the idea of an overwhelmed schedule?
- Even if your schedule isn’t overwhelmed, you can still be off track if God’s agenda isn’t your agenda.
- When God’s agenda and your agenda are not lined up = underwhelmed soul.
- FLIP FLOP your focus from your agenda to God’s agenda.
“The decisions we make dictate the schedules we keep. The schedules we keep determine the lives we live. The lives we live determine how we spend our souls.” (Lysa TerKeurst)
- Not about finding or making time – About honoring God with our time – living His agenda.
- Time to FLIP FLOP God’s agenda – relationships are priority – over yours.
(2.) Are you focused on roadblocks or pathways?
- Mistakes & successes develop wisdom = pathways to God’s agenda.
- Watch out for the roadblocks – fears, foolishness & feelings – that complicate decisions.
- How do we FLIP FLOP our focus from roadblocks to pathways?
“Skilled living gets its start in the fear of God, insight into life from knowing a holy God.” (Proverbs 9:10, MSG)
- Fear of God = Being in awe of God; respect for God.
- Fearing God = one who sees the hand of God in everything
- Focus on God – knowing He’s in everything & looking for Him
- Apply wisdom, knowledge, insight & discernment – You see them when you look for Him
- Courageously make the decision & move fully into it – commit to it.
- Keep it simple. Refuse to let the roadblocks complicate things. Focus on the pathways.
(3.) Are you focused on activity or a BEST YES?
- Not decisions made because of guilt or obligation or we didn’t know how to say “no.”
- A BEST YES requires the courage to say “no” to other things.
- Nothing to do with comfort zones – everything to do with God’s agenda – a BEST YES
- His will is not for you to say “yes” or “no” to everything – Jesus didn’t.
- It’s not about what others say “yes” or “no” to either, not about comparisons.
- It’s a decision grounded in wisdom and about honoring God with our time.
1.) Seek clarity from God.
Whenever there is a conflict between what we feel we’re expected to do and what we feel we should do, it’s time to step back from the decision.” (Lysa TerKeurst)
“By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.” (Proverbs 24:3-4)
2.) Don’t let busyness be your excuse.
“I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. Tomorrow feels better than today.” (Scarlet O’Hara)
- We have to quit letting activity consume & distract us from giving a BEST YES
3.) Consider your resources.
“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’” (Luke 14:28-30)
- Physically, financially, spiritually & emotionally – resources for a BEST YES?
- God always gives the resources needed to accomplish His agenda.
- A BEST YES requires enough resources to handle the demands of the commitment.
- A BEST YES keeps an attitude of love – focuses on relationships – over activity
- Flip flops remind us to keep Taking the Path to Our BEST YES.
- Flip flops remind us that taking the path to our BEST YES is simple.
- Flip flops remind us to make daily adjustments – flip flops – in our thinking to help us get & stay on track in Walking with Wisdom.